- Community Integration
- Consumer Choice
- Direct Supports
- Managed Care
- Person-centered Planning
- Personal Finances
- Quality of Life
- Safety and Risk
- Service Integration
Optum® & The Spark Initiative Whitepaper #4: Promoting self-direction in I/DD service delivery
- Posted On: February 29, 2020
- Publication Date: February 1, 2020
- Publication Type: White Paper
- Publication Source: Optum®
- Category: Advocacy, Assessments, Community Integration, Consumer Choice, Employment, Funding, Medicaid, Outcomes/Performance, Person-centered Planning, Policy, Self-Advocacy, Self-Determination, Self-Direction, Staffing
Optum Integrated Solutions for Individuals with I/DD partners with providers and systems of care in order to facilitate person-centered services that focus on community inclusion, self-determination, life satisfaction and improved health outcomes. This approach promotes and supports self-determination, and along the way, Optum also strengthens vital programs and systems that serve individuals with I/DD.
The Spark Initiative, developed by Optum®, brings together experts from government, nonprofit and private sectors to spark new thinking on major health and human service issues. This report focuses on individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD) and is one of a series of four Spark white papers on this topic.
Its purpose is to discuss the benefits and challenges of “self-determination” and “self-direction” for individuals with I/DD and their families. It also outlines how both of these ideas can lead to greater fulfillment of an individual’s vision for a good life.